Wednesday, May 30, 2007

i keep forgettin'...

The title of this post is an homage both to the jam by Michael McDonald and to the fantastic version that Ellen and I threw down last night at (unofficial) dyke karaoke. It was sweet, let me tell you. I think we have a shot at being the next...American Idol (a two-fer)! I also sang Hall & Oates' "Rich Girl", which was fun, but the crowning glory was definitely the Michael McDonald duet.
http://www.myspace.com/michaelmcdonald
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
My dad really liked Michael McDonald, and I think they look a little bit alike, so I guess it was an homage to him, too.

To get my strength up before the big karaoke showdown, I made one of my favorites--tofu tenders. Preheat the oven to 375. I had some leftover marinated tofu from the fresh rolls, so I used that (I sliced the tofu into 1/4"-1/2" slices and marinated in a mix of Bragg's Liquid Aminos, honey and crushed red pepper flakes for about 24 hours), and made a little shake-n-bake style pouch (zip-loc bag) with some whole wheat bread crumbs, some toasted sesame seeds, some cayenne and salt-n-pepper. Then spread them on a baking sheet that you've prepared with some cooking spray (I use an organic olive oil spray), and also spray the tenders (this will help them get crisp). Bake 10 minutes on each side (spray again when you flip them). Voila! I had mine with some sweet/hot mustard, but they're really good with any kind of dipping sauce you like. You can also play around with the marinade and the coating. They're so easy, and so yum. They're sorta like cheese sticks or fish sticks or something like that.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I brought the rest of them today for lunch along with some Nancy's cultured lowfat cottage cheese (this is the best cottage cheese ever! it's cultured, like yogurt, and has a nice tang and good creaminess. i love this stuff. http://www.nancysyogurt.com/nancys_products/cottage_cheese.php). I plopped some of the leftover pineapple/lime from the fresh rolls. I'm trying to wait until lunch to eat it, but it looks so good beckoning me from its spot on my desk. Also, packed a pouch of "trail mix" with some dried apricots, gjoi berries, hunza golden raisins and some mixed nuts and seeds (almonds, pecans, pistachios, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and sesame seeds--leftover from the spiced caramel corn). It's a taste sensation, and really pretty; I wish I'd have thought to take a picture. It is health-in-a-bag.

I think I might need a passion tea from starbucks. Yes, starbucks. Don't hate.

No comments: