Wednesday, May 16, 2007

from 4/23/2007

Hey, hey! Happy (belated) Earth Day to everyone! What a gorgeous weekend! That is good for the soul, I tell ya.

I went to Gist Street on Friday night, and it was a good time as always (i <3 Gist Street!). The readers were Jason Schneiderman (poet) and Kellie Willis (fiction). They were both great, but Jason Scheiderman made me--literally--laugh and cry. Fantastic. And, one of the prizes this month were three beautiful, just-laid eggs from the chickens in the backyard. I wanted those babies really badly. I didn't win, but my friend Kara did! And, she shared. She gave one to me and one to Ellen. I made it as soon as I got home. This little baby never even made it to the refrigerator. I decided on hard-boiling, and to eat it warm with some sea salt and coarse ground pepper. Yum. It was delicious. The yolk was really a gorgeous deep orangey-yellow and tender. Deelish.



Saturday morning I started the day with a Power Smoothie. I had to capitalize the name because that's how powerful it was. It was a take on the chocolate almond milk from the raw foods class last week. I didn't strain the milk, though. I wanted to bulk of all the ingredients. I like my smoothies a little chewy. So, I blended about a 1/3 c. soaked almonds with the meat of a young coconut and some leftover lite coconut milk (about 1/3 c.). When it was pretty well pureed, I added about a 1/2 c. of water, 1 1/2 t. raw cacao nibs, 1 t. mesquite meal, 1 t. maca root powder, 1/2 t. carob powder, 1 small banana and 3 dates. It was a powerhouse! I think it'd actually be an awesome filling (with less water) for a raw pie. I got a good recipe for a raw crust using dates, coconut and ground pecans. I think it would rock. I'll be making that soon.



Then Saturday night I had a lovely dinner with Mags and Ani before we hit Operation Sappho. We had bean and rice burritos, a gorgeous salad and some tasty chocolate chip-oatmeal cookies. Good stuff. And, then we went to Whole Foods for some raw kombucha juice before hitting the dance floor. You gotta try this kombucha juice! Some lady in the vegan cooking class last month had mentioned it, and I'd kinda forgotten about it until Ellen pointed it out at WF last week. So, I picked up a bottle of the gingerade. It is amazing! It tastes a little like apple cider vinegar, but with a little fresh ginger taste, too. Ellen tried the Mango too, and gave it a good review. I think I'm gonna have to swing by WF after work to stock up. It's pretty crazy. You almost feel a little high when you drink it. I get the same feeling when I drink wheatgrass and eat sushi. You can read more about kombucha here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kombucha



(can you tell i just recently learned how to add images to blog posts?)

Sunday morning I'd planned to hit up the brunch/show in Lawrenceville, but my compatriots all backed out so I made a batch of Heidi's basic drop biscuits. I had a little trouble getting the tops to brown (but, I think that's mostly because my oven sucks), so halfway through I pulled them out and brushed the tops with a little egg white. They turned out really tender and flaky. They're from Heidi's Cook 1.0: A Fresh Approach to the Vegetarian Kitchen cookbook. This cookbook ROCKS. I got it from the library after I bought (and fell in love with) Heidi's new book Super Natural Cooking. I've had it for about a month and a half, and I tried to renew it again, but someone has it on hold. Bummer! I wonder if it's someone who reads this blog? If so, please enjoy it. It's maybe the best cookbook ever. It is chockfull of fantastic recipes and ideas. I'm going to buy my own copy as soon as I get paid again. I will miss you Cook 1.0...



Queer Dinner is tonight! Gypsy Cafe at 7:00 p.m. If you want more info, message me.

No comments: