Tuesday, May 15, 2007

from 3/22/2007

Well, I didn't do any cooking last night. I was feeling pretty lazy, so I just ate some leftovers of the fennel-mushroom-onion soup I had frozen (this is a new-n-improved version of the "herb-scented...yadda, yadda" soup from my "hot stuff" post a few weeks ago), some of the bulgur-beet salad (warning: that salad smells weird when you first open the lid, but it tastes freakin' fabulous), and a leftover piece of mushroom pie with baby arugula crust (loosely based on a Mollie Katzen recipe. thanks, Mollie!).

Tonight Ellen and I are going to a vegan cooking class at Whole Foods (free!). That should be fun. I'm really interested to see what we're going to make, and also to see the kitchen at WF. I'll bet it's pretty sweet.

I've been holding out on buying any new clothes because even though I've lost a bit, I still have a good ways to go (my goal is to lose about 70 more pounds by my 35th birthday, and I think I'm going to make it before then!), and I don't want to spend money on clothes now (better spent on groceries and kitchenware!), and then have to do it all over again in a few months. But. Today my work-friend said, "I don't mean this in a bad way, but it looks like you've got a load in your pants. I think it's time to throw those away. They're way too big." HA!

And, I *am* going to get rid of all my old clothes (donate them, not throw them away) so that growing back into them is not an option. That's exciting.

Here's a good site on the slow food movement: http://www.slowfoodusa.org/join/index.html
I think I'm going to join when I get paid again.

My friend Jen just told me that she ordered my a sprouting container. I'm so excited! I've been reading the book The Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book: A Guide to Whole-Grain Breadmaking by Laurel Robertson, Carol Flinders, and Bronwen Godfrey, and there's a chapter on sprouting grains to make bread. Not that you actually need a special container for sprouting, but still. Fun.

I'll report back tomorrow on the cooking class...

No comments: