Tuesday, May 15, 2007

from 3/30/2007

Woohoo! It's Friday, it's sunny and it's pay day. Doesn't get much better than that! I can't wait to go grocery shopping again! And, I just sent in the payment for my CSA. It doesn't start until June, but I can't wait! I'm using Kretschmanns (http://www.kretschmannfarm.com/). I've done theirs before, and it's always really nice and bountiful. I'm splitting a small share with my friend Jen, so it's $250 each (split into payments) over the course of the first week of June through Thanksgiving. So, that works out to be about $12-$13/week for fresh, local organic produce!

I'm going to make that Quinoa Pudding that I posted about last week some time this weekend. I can't stop thinking about it. It was so freaking good!

I've been having a hard time over the past few weeks with some ridiculously stoopid dyke drama that never seems to effing end, and it's caused me to lose a little focus, but I feel like I'm getting back on track now, so I thought I'd post about some easy, initial changes that I made when I started the healthquest, and what I'm doing to recenter myself. How I treat my body is really tied into how I'm feeling--surprisingly so. I guess I always knew that, but it's just amazing how strong the link is.

Water: I seriously think this is one of the most important--if not THE most important--aspect of everything. Everyone should drink at least 8-8oz glasses of water per day. But, if you're not used to doing it, it's kinda hard! I had to really force myself at the beginning, but then it got to be a habit. I sorta fell off a bit over the past few weeks, but I've started again. I also read that you should drink an additional 8oz glass for every ten pounds that you're overweight. It's not only hard to get it in, but hard when you first start because you have to pee every few minutes. But, eventually your body acclimates to it, and your kidneys can deal for a little longer. I try to think of it as a challenge, and make a little tick on a notepad every time I finish a glass.

The next most important step, I think, is to eat regular meals. I never used to eat breakfast, and felt like I was, at least, saving those calories, but that's just not how your body works. If you don't feed it regularly, it goes into hoarding mode, and stores up the sugars and fats you eat later since it doesn't know when it'll get more. You actually lose weight by eating more. Just more "good" things, you know? I got a recipe for a really easy, really nutritious and filling breakfast from a book called Low-Fat Living that I picked up at Goodwill a few weeks ago. The author goes into all kinds of science-y explanations about how your body processes foods and stuff. Interesting, but I don't agree with everything he says. Anyway, the recipe is from some chi-chi health spa in Sweden (something like Birchner-Brenner?). You just soak steel-cut oats in water in the refrigerator overnight (no cooking). They get really chewy and fantastic. Then, just add about 1/4 c. of plain, low-fat yogurt, some fruit (I like diced fuji apple and a handful of blueberries), and a little bit of brown sugar, if desired. (it's good without the sugar, but extra-good with. I use about 1 1/2 t. organic brown sugar). It's 360 calories, 73 carbs, 6 grams of fat, 15 grams of protein. There are also lots of vitamins, fiber, etc., but I just don't have the breakdown on those.

My meal breakdown is breakfast (within an hour of waking), mid-morning snack, lunch, mid-afternoon snack, dinner, mid-evening snack. When I stick to this plan, I'm never hungry, always have energy, and just generally feel pretty good.

Also, activity! Now that the weather's warming up, this will be easier. I like to take a three-mile walk at a fairly brisk pace. I've been taking the K-Bear, and we've both been having a great time. It's especially good when I can drag my ass outta bed before work and go, 'cause then I'm all sparkly by the time I get to work (with no coffee!).

Also, side note, Ellen sent me a link to her friend's blog this morning, and it ROCKS (vegan/raw cooking & recipes)! Check it out here: http://pacificoutpostcooking.blogspot.com/

I'm going to do some serious cooking over the weekend, so I'll share some recipes on Monday.

I'll be out tomorrow night getting my cardio on the dance floor! Hope to see you guys at the Pink Party (if you don't know about it, send me an email, and I'll hook you up with the details or their myspace page is in my top friends).

ps. there's a great workshop on sustainable ag stuff tomorrow that unfortunately I'm not attending, but if you can you should go and tell me how it was! Farm to Table: http://www.pathwayswellnessprogram.com/Farm_to_Table.html

No comments: