Friday, November 30, 2007

these feets were made for walkin'

Today is my final hurrah of owning a car. Not because I'm so utterly environmentally conscious that I'm giving it up, but because my car needs $3000 of work to pass inspection, and it's not worth that much. And, the inspection runs out tomorrow. I'm trying to work something out, but with the opposite of stellar credit, and not much scratch to work with, it's a tough row to hoe. But, hey, on the upside, it gave me an excuse to reinstall cable, right? [if you would like to give me a car or co-sign a loan, get in touch!]

It's payday (once a month! dang!) and since that is coinciding with my soon-to-be-carlessness, I'm planning a big grocery trip. I'm trying to walk the line between getting enough of everything that I won't have to worry about it for a while, and getting so much stuff that everything goes bad before I can use it. So, I'm trying to think of what I need perishable now, and what is heavy (i.e. not good for busing it) and what can last for a while. I'm having a hard time getting out of the mode of thinking that I'm trying to stock up Little House-style for a long, brutal winter. 'Cause it's kinda fun to think of it like that. But, I don't want to go overboard, which I have a tendency to do anyway with regard to the grocery shopping. Because, E-dawg has offered to haul my sorry ass along with her on shopping trips, Mags has offered use of her car when she doesn't need it on weekends, and Zeke's mom has even said I can use her car whenever I am sitting him. So, it's not like I'll really never be leaving the house again (despite my urge to hibernate). In order to keep myself sane, I'm making a spreadsheet (I love spreadsheets). It will list all items that I require, broken down by which store I want to buy them at (I'm hitting the co-op, Whole Foods and Giant Eagle this evening), and in order of where they are in the store. I actually like to do this even when I'm not stocking up for winter, but usually don't take the time to be that elaborate (or, some may say, anal).
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I haven't done a whole lot of cooking in the past couple of days. Mainly just sandwiches and baked potatoes. But, I did get a hankerin' for deviled eggs yesterday. (Is this still leftover from my extended Thanksgiving?). I make mine very simply, like I like almost all of my egg-themed recipes. I just hardboil the eggs, slice in half and pop out the yolk, add (lots and lots of) mayo (until the yolk mixture has kind of a glossy appearance) and (a little dab of) yellow mustard and some black pepper to taste. Then scoop the yolk mixture back into the whites, and sprinkle on a little sweet paprika. Perfection.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

But, this weekend I'm planning on cooking and/or baking a bunch. Probably some kind of soup and some kind of yeasted bread. Oh, that reminds me, I need to add mushrooms to the list...and maybe some graham crackers...

Anyhow, have a great weekend, folks!

1 comment:

Sue said...

Speaking of car ownership, check out Community Auto http://www.nhco.org/auto.htm and Ways to Work http://www.fswp.org/ways_to_work.htm

Both are car ownership programs for folks in need, in need, of a car.