Tuesday, May 15, 2007

from 3/26/2007

I spent the weekend just being mostly quiet. I read a lot, and finished What Was She Thinking?: Notes On A Scandal by Zoe Heller for the queer bookclub (next meeting is on 4/4. email me if you want in.), and read through lots of cookbooks and nutrition books, and requested some more books from the library. [Also, I wanted to give a shout-out to Ellen for always being in the know about every sort of book available, and pointing me in the direction of lots of awesome/interesting books and authors. Thanks, e-dawg!]. I've got four books to pick up from the library today, and I'm so excited that I just can't hide it!

I normally do tons of cooking on Sundays, and have a small group of pals over for dinner & the L-Word, but this weekend my peeps were either outta town or otherwise engaged, so I took it easy, and just made a pizza for dinner last night. But, it was really yum, and totally hit the spot.

I got the pizza crust recipe from Heidi Swanson's book Cook 1.0: A Fresh Approach to the Vegetarian Kitchen. It's a honey-whole wheat cornmeal crust. I cut the recipe down from six crusts to two, but now I really wish I'd made the whole recipe and just put the others in the freezer. I might have to do that some time this week, because the crust was pretty easy to make, and really nice and tasty.

For the toppings, I roasted some garlic, and used some black mission figs, toasted pine nuts, baby argula, parmesan and machego cheese (I did half with a red sauce, half just with olive oil). So tasty! And, I even had a little leftover, and brought it to work for lunch today. I want to eat it right now after talking about it. It's a really nice mix of sweet and savory. It would be easy to make this vegan because all the toppings are so flavorful you wouldn't miss the cheese.

If I'd had my pals over I was going to make fresh tortillas with bean dip, carmelized brussel sprouts, beet salad and spring green fettucini with an asparagus-spinach sauce. But, I'll just have to fit those recipes in some time this week. But, I went to the co-op yesterday, and they didn't have brussel sprouts. (But, I think I saw some at Wholey's last week). I love brussel sprouts. Aren't they the cutest little things you've ever seen in your life?

The rest of the weekend was spent walking dogs (the K-Bear and Maggie's dogs), napping, and catching up on dvr'ed episodes of The Golden Girls and Xena: Warrior Princess. Good times.

Tonight is the queer dinner (Queers: They're What's For Dinner!) at the Gypsy Cafe, and I'm looking forward to it. Not only do they always have tasty food, but it's always a good mix members of the dyke community, and we have a tarot reader that is freakishly accurate. Last month I thought I'd finally caught her because one of the things she'd predicted hadn't come true. And, then BAM! It came true on that day. Whoa. I can't wait to hear what she has to say this time. (and, again, if you want to come to the dinner, just sent me a message, and I'll hook you up with the details).

I've now lost 33 pounds, but the rate at which I'm losing seems to have slowed down. But, I also haven't been as good about drinking as much water as I did before, and a couple weeks ago I ate a little less-good than usual 'cause I just got caught up in some dyke drama. ugh. But, it's been really helpful for me to remember that it's all a process, and just because I might stumble one day doesn't mean it's over. It only means that I'm human, and that I can get right back to the plan. No "I'll do it tomorrow/next week/next month" anymore. No longer an option to be a slacker. It's too important to my physical and mental health to stay on-board. And, it's fun to let all those little successes add up into fairly significant results. And, writing this blog, and being open with my journey and making myself accountable has really helped, too. Thanks to the peeps who've left comments or emailed me privately. It really helps.

No comments: